Accelerate — Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations
by Nicole Forsgren PhD, Jez Humble, and Gene Kim
Buy now from Amazon
By making meaningful steps to introduce and improve your capabilities in continuous delivery, architecture, product & process, lean practices, and culture — you can create a profound impact on overall organizational performance.
Chapter in one sentence
- Accelerate: We now live in a world where organizational success is frequently enabled by technical innovation — where we must look to methods to create the right culture, approach, and speed to support rapid value creation to remain competitive.
- Measuring Performance: While there are many approaches and frameworks to software delivery, the performance of that delivery can be assessed via how frequently you release (Deployment Frequency), how long it takes for those changes to go from ideation to customer (Lead time), how quickly you can restore failures (Mean time to recovery), and how often you introduce failures to production (Change failure rate).
- Measuring & Changing Culture: Organizations should strive to move towards a culture in which trust, shared responsibility, safety for failure, innovation, and collaboration are all encouraged — levering Lean and Agile practices as the catalyst to start the cultural change.
- Technical Practices: Create an environment that enables Continous Delivery of valuable software to your customers in small and fast feedback loops. Do this by incorporating the necessary technical practices, designs, and culture to enable empowered, automated, and high-quality software teams.
- Architecture: Create an architecture that doesn’t focus on tools and technologies, but instead focuses on creating independent and efficient delivery of the business outcomes through loose coupling across products/services, and a focus on deployability, and testability.
- Integrating Infosec into the Delivery Lifecycle: Create an environment where the collaboration is high, and dependencies low between dev teams and infosec — building security…